NAME, PURPOSE, LOCATION, FISCAL YEAR, AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
Article 1 Name.
The name of the organization shall be Bay Area Korean-American Scientists Society in Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals, hereafter abbreviated as BAKAS
Article 2. Purpose.
BAKAS is organized to encourage networking and information exchange among Korean-American professionals working in the fields of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals .
Article 3. Location.
BAKAS is located in the San Francisco Bay area.
Article 4. Fiscal year.
The fiscal year of BAKAS shall be July 1 ? June 30 .
Article 5. Amendment of Bylaws.
These bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of a General Meeting, following consideration by the Board of Executive Directors.
Article 6. Classes and Qualification.
There shall be three classes of members: Regular Members, Academic Members, and Special Members. Regular Members are Korean-Americans working for companies in the biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and related industries in the San Francisco Bay area . Academic Members are Korean-Americans who are in undergraduate, graduate or post-doctoral training /visiting scholarship in related fields. The Board of Executive Directors may designate a person or a sponsoring organization a Special Member.
Article 7. Membership.
Membership shall be granted upon written application, submitted in the form specified by the Board of Executive Directors.
OFFICERS, SUPERVISORS, ADVISORS, AND BOARD OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
Article 8. Officers, Supervisors, Advisors, and Board of Executive Directors
1) Officers: The Officers of BAKAS shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer and such other Officers the President may designate.
2) Supervisors and Advisors: BAKAS shall have one Supervisor. The President may appoint several Advisors.
3) Board of Executive Directors: The Board of Executive Directors shall comprise of the Officers, Supervisor, and Advisors.
Article 9. Election, Appointment, and Term
1) President: The Vice President shall succeed to the office of the Presidency provided that the current President completes a full term . If the current President is holding the office to fill a vacancy as defined in Article 10. 1, the Vice President shall NOT succeed to the office of Presidency. In this case, a President shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
2) Vice President, Other Officers & Supervisor: A Vice President and a Supervisor shall be elected at Annual General Meetings. All other Officers shall be appointed by the President.
3) Election: Election candidates may be nominated by Regular Members. Election shall be decided by a majority vote of the Annual General Meeting.
4) Term: The term of the office for the Officers, Supervisor, and Advisors shall coincide with the fiscal year.
Article 10. Vacancies
1) In the case of vacancy (death, resignation, or removal) of President, the Vice President shall assume the office of Presidency for the remainder of the term. A President for the subsequent term shall be elected at the next scheduled Annual General Meeting.
2) In the case of vacancy of other Officers or Supervisor, the President shall appoint Regular Members to fill the vacancies for the remainder of the term.
Article 11. Authority and Duties of Officers, Supervisors, and Advisors.
1) President: The President shall oversee overall operations and activities of BAKAS, represent BAKAS externally, and preside the Board of Executive Directors meetings and General Meetings.
2) Vice President: The Vice President shall assist the President, and exercise all the powers and prerogatives of the President in General Meetings and Board of Executive Directors meetings in the absence of the President.
3) Other Officers: Other officers shall perform duties as designated by the President.
4) Supervisor: The Supervisor shall examine financial activities of BAKAS and report the result to the General Meeting.
5) Advisors: The Advisors shall provide the Board of Executive Directors with guidance and advices.
Article 12. Annual General Meetings:
The date of an Annual General Meeting shall be set by the Board of Executive Directors during the month of May or June. The Meeting time and location shall be notified to all Members via email at least five days prior to the Meeting.
Article 13. Special General Meetings:
Special meetings may be called by the Board of Executive Directors, or by an agreement of five or more Regular members.
Article 14. Quorum and Absentee Vote
1) Quorum: Quorum shall consist of five or more members attending a General Meeting. All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of those who cast votes at a meeting at which a quorum is present. In the event of a tie vote, the President shall make the decision.
2) Absentee Vote: A Member may cast a vote by an email to the President or entrust another Member to cast a vote on his or her behalf.